Simplicity is the ultimate Sophistication
Breast Augmentation Edina
Breast augmentation surgery, also referred to as augmentation mammoplasty, typically involves using breast implants to either increase the size of the breasts or restore volume that has been lost after pregnancy or weight reduction. The procedure can:
- Increase the projection and fullness of your breasts
- Improve your figure’s balance
- Enhance your self-confidence and self-image
If your breasts are severely droopy (ptotic), you might need a breast lift along with a breast augmentation. For the most part both procedures can be done in simultaneously. Dr. Jacobson will discuss with you after assessing your current situation and aesthetic goals.
Candidates for Breast Augmentation
You are an ideal candidate for a breast augmentation if:
- You are healthy
- You desire fuller breasts
- You are dissatisfied with the volume loss in your breasts after weight loss, pregnancy, or aging
- You have asymmetrical breasts
- Your breasts failed to develop naturally
An augmentation mammoplasty includes the following steps:
- Anesthesia – A specialized doctor will administer an intravenous sedative ( anesthetic ) for your comfort.
- Incision – Once your are asleep and comfortable, Dr. Jacobson will make inconspicuous incisions to minimize the visible post-surgical marks. You will discuss your incision location options with your surgeon and agree with what works best for you. The incisions vary depending on the type of implant used, the degree of breast enlargement desired, and your anatomy.
- Inserting the Implants – Once the incisions are made, the surgeon will insert an implant into a pocket of tissue in each breast. The implant is placed either under the patient’s breast tissue or occasionally pectoral muscle. The method of positioning the implant varies from case to case.
- Closing the Incision – The incisions are then closed with sutures, surgical tape, and skin adhesive.
Once the procedure is complete, you will be taken to a recovery area to be monitored. Your breasts will be wrapped in clear supportive bandages, and you will wear a support bra starting day 2 to minimize the swelling and give further support to the breasts while they heal.
You will likely be able to go home after an about an hour. Before you leave the Surgery Center, Dr. Jacobson will have provided you specific post-operative care instructions that include caring for your breasts, the oral and topical medication you need to take to promote healing and reduce the risk of an infection, as well as the first follow-up appointment date.
You will need to wear a support bra for the first couple of weeks. It is very important to keep the incision site clean. If there is any soreness, it will improve within a couple of days. You may shower the day after surgery and it is important get appropriate rest so you heal properly. You can typically resume normal activity within 24-48 hours and light exercise after a week.
Arrange a Breast Augmentation Consultation
To discuss the details of your breast augmentation and ask any questions you may have, contact our office and arrange a consultation. Dr. Jacobson has years of experience in a wide variety of aesthetic procedures, and is considered a national and international expert on using breast implants.